As we navigate the week, students in Ms Julie´s class will be thinking about their personal and family food traditions and preferences. They will conduct interviews at home and will participate in a class Socratic Seminar discussion.
Ms Julie would like to invite any interested classes who are available at 2:20pm EST/GMT to connect with her students to discuss their thinking about their family’s food traditions, based on the research and discussion through the week.
She has set up 12 separate private “chat rooms” on appear.in
. There are links to 12 chat rooms that she will assign small groups of students to join. Her students will use one device for a group of 2-3, per chat room. This allows each student to have a more engaging conversation in which they each have a more active role.
The students will be focusing on the following questions:
Socratic Seminar Questions:
1. What are some traditional recipes that your family prepares? How do the recipes that we use reflect our family’s cultures?
2. How do the ingredients we use to prepare our food, reflect our geographic location?
3. Who takes care of the food purchases, preparation, and clean up? Why do you think this is?
4. Describe where and how your family’s meals are served and eaten. What traditions, habits, or behaviors does your family have surrounding meals?
Can you guess what students in Michigan answer when Ms Julie asks:
Ms Julie: What would be in a “Michigan” meal? drink, main dish, sides, dessert?
- The main dish would be an Atlantic Salmon Fillet, on top of noodles, with lemon cracked peppercorn seasoning. The drink would be an Iced Tea, with a lemon. A side for the fillet would be some mashed potatoes with paprika for color. Dessert would be a nice, Boston Cooler.
- Main Dish – Jimmy Johns Sandwich Drink – Crush Side – Goldfish dessert – Key Lime Pie
- my drink is Faygo Soda,My main course is Coney dogs, My side is BetterMade chips,And dessert is apple pie
- Burger Joint burger for the main dish, Dr Pepper for the drink burger and fries for the meal ice cream cake.
- water as the drink, turkey for main dish,french fries for the sides, and a banana split for dessert.
- A “Michigan” meal would have a pop, burger, fries, and milkshake.
- A Michigan meal to me would be Tea as the drink. Ham or turkey with rolls as the main dish. Cheesy potatoes as the side and brownies as the dessert.
Here you can see some of the foods and drinks suggested by the kids!
Would these foods and drink be in one of your meals?